Voter FAQ’S

When is the last day I may register to vote for an election?

Registration closes for purposes of voting on the 15th day before the election.

Who can register to vote?

Any U.S. citizen may register to vote if he or she is or will be at least 18 years old by election day, a resident of California, has not been legally judged mentally incompetent to do so, and is not imprisoned or on parole for the conviction of a felony.

If I do not provide my driver’s license number, can I still register to vote?

Federal and state law require you to provide an identification number. If you have a driver’s license or state identification card, you must provide the number.  If you have neither, you must provide the last four digits of your Social Security Number. If you have none of these forms of identification, a unique identifier will be assigned to you. But if you do have one of these documents and the elections official is able to locate it, the number will be applied to your voter registration record.

I have just moved. Do I need to re-register?

Yes. The voter rolls should always have the address where you currently live.

I want to change political parties. Do I need to re-register?

Yes. Be certain to complete Box 10 of the voter registration form with your previous registration information.

I did not vote in the last election. Do I need to re-register?

No. In general, you are registered for as long as you live at the same address, and you should continue to receive election materials in the mail.

I will be 18 years old on Election Day, but after the registration deadline.  Can I still register to vote?

Yes, since you will be 18 years of age on or before the election date.

If a person does not vote in a primary election, will he or she be able to vote in the following November general election? Yes.  I have moved. May I change my address over the phone?

No. You should notify the elections official by mail.

I just moved next door (or to another apartment in the same building). Do I need to re-register?

Yes.  You should re-register whenever you change your residence address.

I am away at school. Do I use my college or my parents’ address?

You may use whichever one you consider to be your domicile, but not both.

I am on parole for a felony. May I register to vote?

No. You may register when your parole period is completed.

My husband is out of town but needs to register. May I sign him up?

No. He must sign the card himself, under penalty of perjury. He can complete the voter registration card and mail it from wherever he is. He may also apply for a registration form via the Internet at the Secretary of State’s website.

If I register to vote will I be called for jury duty?

Jury duty lists are compiled from a variety of sources, including Department of Motor Vehicles records and voter registration lists.


Always be sure to complete Box 10 of the voter registration card if you have ever been previously registered to vote.